Got 3 (of 7) zones worth of pipe and heads installed today..ok, but I could have gotten a good bit more done if it didn't take me 3 hours to get a pipe underneath the front sidewalk. That is always a pain-and it was very painful today;-) Roots, rocks and a 12" thick sidewalk had something to do with that. Good to get that out of the way, though..and it should be pretty cut and dried tomorrow.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Never know what you will find at these older homes. On this one it seems to be rock..many different varieties and shapes added over the years. I am trying to think of someway to work them into the project. Finished with the Bobcat work before the weekend rains-did some materials pickup yesterday and started trenching for the irrigation system today. Good progress-rain actually helped soften things up a bit.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
I'm not completely booked up by any means, but have been doing some scheduling this evening and it does look to be a busy Sept-Nov starting to shape up.
Some of the upcoming projects-
Completion of the current Collier Rd./Atlanta Re-Landscape & Irrigation
Lawrenceville- Complete Drainage System & Sod
Suwanee/Richland- Back Yard Plant Relocation & Sod
Briarlake- 64' Stacked Capstone Wall, Landscape & Hardscape Improvements
Chastain Park- Garden Pathway Installation and Irrigation Re-design
I am also in the process of bidding jobs in Dahlonega, Ormewood Park-Atlanta, Decatur and Athens.
I appreciate the business and the great customers I have been lucky to work with.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Quite a few changes in the way this job has progressed. Asphalt contractor hired by the homeowner came out to prep for installing a new driveway over the top of the old one--got delayed twice-and now the driveway has been put off until I complete the landscaping. Should be interesting to see how that turns out. Meanwhile-I have been busy removing and chipping up a lot of old plant material and today I got started on the rough grading -the plan is to be completed with my portion by Sept. 3.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Started out today with a heavy duty bladed weedeater destroying all the ivy on site-I then sprayed all the mowed ivy areas with Triclopyr herbicide, which should really take it out nicely in this hot weather. Dug up the majority of the front foundation plants then went around back to tackle the big stuff. Took down a couple of large (20') hollies against the back fence that were leaning towards the neighbors' yard so I tied them to the van, cut them 80% thru, then pulled them over in the right direction. I have quite a pile of cut down holly, camellia and azalea wood/limbs for the chipper.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
I've been looking forward to this project for a long time! Plan was drawn and estimate was presented last year-the entire job hinged on getting approval to remove some large pine trees from the city of Atlanta. Months later that has been accomplished and we are getting started. The first phase is generally getting prepared for a new asphalt driveway and parking areas. I've been out to spray sod, remove or cut down plants and install a drain that will be integrated into the asphalt parking area. The top photo is how the house looked last summer..we went out a few weeks ago to remove shrubbery away from the house so that it could be painted (second photo). Driveway was scheduled to go in today but that has been moved back to Friday...which gives me some more time for plant and ivy removal tomorrow. I will then move on to drainage work and irrigation installation followed by new plantings, sod and mulch. Owner wants the job completed by the beginning of college football season;-) I'm going to give it my best shot.
Friday, August 6, 2010
This is another project that is based around drainage issues. Water coming from a neighbors' yard is again responsible for a lot of the water. We decided to build a little uncapped windsor stone wall to divert the bulk of the water, then add some drains along the side pathway (that had become a major surface water route) and build the path up with egg gravel. Downspouts and drains are being piped to the rear of the property which drains directly into a detention pond for a lake.
Been busy and haven't updated the blog in a while--the Lawrenceville job was completed successfully then I moved on to Oakurst for some sod replacement and additions (bottom 3 photos). This was actually a job we sodded with Centipede sod last summer. Within 3 weeks the grass was attacked by a still unidentified fungus and really took a hit. Efforts to nurse it back to health were not successful so I agreed to replace the sod and add some where a new porch addition had gone in.
From Oakhurst it was up to the mountains for a long weekend then I started out at Hamilton Mill in Dacula the day I returned. This job involved taking care of water coming from a neighbor's yard and causing erosion damage. I piped off the nieghbor's downspouts, built a wall to protect the driveway and installed a couple of catch basins. Areas affected by erosion were then repaired and re-sodded. (Top 5 photos)