Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stone work in Oakhurst-

This little project was a bit of a departure for me. I do a good bit of dry (no mortar) stone work..walkways, walls, patios, etc...but I generally refer or hire a mason for true masonry work. In this case it was a small walkway and I felt pretty comfortable taking it on. The stairs and the under-deck patio in the photos are part of a new addition to my client's house. The builder who worked on the addition poured the concrete base for the walkway along with the patio. I simply added the slate stones as a veneer. Two day project...first day is putting down a base layer of mortar then setting the stones..after 24 hours, more mortar is applied to grout the joints. After it cures for a few days a good wash with muriatic acid will clean it up nicely.


1 comment: