Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dunwoody Drainage Problem

This is an interesting job so far. Client was having a problem with water going into the basement every time it rained heavily. They repaired a gutter problem and added an awning..still getting water inside. When I first saw it (sandbags and all) I immediately noticed that it was not graded properly-but still not sure why they were getting so much water. I came up with a proposed a long term solution-which they have agreed to..but the immediate concern was to keep the possible heavy rain predicted this weekend from going into the finished basement again. Luckly I had a day open up and could get out today and work on it. I wanted to get all the soil that had been added near the door away and see if I could grade it to drain away from the house then channel it to the rear of the yard. That was accomplished-but there was a bit of a surprise..a nice surprise actually. I had suspected there might be a landing buried outside the door..but as it turns out there is a fairly large concrete pad bordered with pavers-and it is sloped properly to take the water away from the door. It now looks a bit like an archaeological dig-but I am confident the little ditch I dug will drain the water from the pad until I can get back to finish with the permanent plan. You will notice in the bottom photos that I did test it-I tried to get water to back up towards the door by running the hose on the pad and then onto the awning and letting it spill off. 30 minutes of water and everything worked well-for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment