Fisnished up yesterday..work included some pruning (including the Dissectum Jap. Maple I reluctantly pruned in the top photo)and clean up- Big Blue Liriope planted to alleviate a wash problem in the back yard, Razzleberry Lorapetalum and Helleri Holly planted at the front foundation and a new layer of pine bark in all the beds.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
This was the last phase of this project that we started back in March. Dry laid Crab Orchard stone patio/grilling area. We started with demolition of a concrete slab that was probably once part of a garage or out building-excavated for our crushed granite/river sand foundation and laid in some really nice stone. Just need to go back and topdress with sand once it settles in a bit.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
This is a project I drew a landscape plan for earlier in the Spring. Owner decided the two priorities were to replace the existing front lawn with Palisades Zoysia and initiate a clean up of the back yard. The back yard has many of the original plants from a 50+ year old garden..but it had been neglected for years prior to this owner purchasing the home. I rented a brush mower and spent a day mowing down overgrowth and ivy. The more the garden got cleaned up, the more it made sense. It has great possibilities for renovation and I look forward to continuing the process. The front yard sod turned out well, and a long dormant irrigation system was pretty easily cranked up to water the new turf.
Thursday, May 14, 2009
This is an interesting job so far. Client was having a problem with water going into the basement every time it rained heavily. They repaired a gutter problem and added an awning..still getting water inside. When I first saw it (sandbags and all) I immediately noticed that it was not graded properly-but still not sure why they were getting so much water. I came up with a proposed a long term solution-which they have agreed to..but the immediate concern was to keep the possible heavy rain predicted this weekend from going into the finished basement again. Luckly I had a day open up and could get out today and work on it. I wanted to get all the soil that had been added near the door away and see if I could grade it to drain away from the house then channel it to the rear of the yard. That was accomplished-but there was a bit of a surprise..a nice surprise actually. I had suspected there might be a landing buried outside the door..but as it turns out there is a fairly large concrete pad bordered with pavers-and it is sloped properly to take the water away from the door. It now looks a bit like an archaeological dig-but I am confident the little ditch I dug will drain the water from the pad until I can get back to finish with the permanent plan. You will notice in the bottom photos that I did test it-I tried to get water to back up towards the door by running the hose on the pad and then onto the awning and letting it spill off. 30 minutes of water and everything worked well-for now.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
This project began earlier this year with replacement of foundation plantings, tree pruning, establishment of new bed lines and back planting. The top photos were taken when I first went out in December 2008 to meet with the owners about a landscape plan and proposal to implement the plan. It was decided to wait until late spring to install the zoysia sod-when it was fully out of winter dormancy. The sod was installed over the last couple of days. Pines straw was added to the back natural areas that remain and along the edges of the sod. One more phase to go on this project-a dry laid Crab Orchard stone patio/grilling area in back adjacent to the side stairs from the deck.